Albany Area Schools is dedicated to providing a healthy and safe environment in which all students and staff can thrive. In July 2017, our district revised its wellness policy to intentionally address the following areas:
- Nutrition Education
- Physical Activity
- School Meals
- Vending and other foods/beverages available at school
Phase One of our Wellness Policy Implementation (2017-2018) included the following components:
- Physical Activity: Classroom teachers will provide short physical activity breaks between lessons or classes as appropriate.
- Celebrations and Parties: The district will provide a list of healthy party ideas to parents and teachers, including non-food celebration ideas.
- Classroom Snacks: The school district will provide to parents a list of suggested foods and beverages that meet Smart Snacks Nutrition Standards.
Phase Two of our Wellness Policy Implementation (2018-2019) includes the following components:
- Healthy Lunches/Snacks: The district will provide resources to parents to educate and encourage them to pack healthy lunches and snacks for their children.
- Smart Snack Compliance- Fundraising: The district will ensure all foods sold during the school day meet Smart Snacks Nutrition Standards.
- Classroom Celebrations: Classroom celebrations that involve food during the school day should be limited to no more than one party per class per month. In addition, the district will strongly encourage parents to either order through our Celebration Order Form (food service) or choose an alternate activity to celebrate that is non-food related.
- Rewards: The district will ensure that food is not regularly used as a reward for academic performance or good behavior (unless allowed by a student's IEP or Behavior Plan). In addition, any food used as an incentive should meet Smart Snacks Nutrition Guidelines.
Phase Three - Beyond the Policy (2019-2020)
Compliance with our Wellness Policy is nearing completion and all areas that require additional changes have been addressed. This year's focus will be in the following two areas:
- Student Mental Health: Identify areas of need, brainstorm solutions and strategies, and align with SHIP funding initiatives. Collaborate with Stearns County SHIP staff on Yellow Zones programming.
- Tobacco/Vaping Prevention: Communicate in an ongoing basis with parents and stakeholders regarding the epidemic of vaping within our students. Share resources and presentations whenever possible.
Albany Area Schools District Wellness Committee meets five times per year and encourages parent, student, and staff participation on the committee. All meetings are held at 7:30 am in the District Office Board Room at Albany Area Middle & High School. Future meetings are scheduled for the following dates:
Meetings for the 2020-21 school year will be posted as they are scheduled.
If you would like more information about the District Wellness Committee, please contact Cassie Novak at email@example.com or 320-845-5072.